Sunday, September 15, 2013

Where was I? We interrupt this building to bring you a post on flooring.

While I've been enjoying summer holidays, H & M have been working - hard!
More about that later.....

While we're not anywhere near ready for flooring, a professional I trust, Carrie McCarthy, (check out her beautiful work at http://mccarthyhinder.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page.html) advises picking flooring (a major element) before you pick other interior finishings/paint. There will probably only be 2 types of flooring in the house; mostly wood and a hard-surface finishing for entryway/bathrooms, etc.

So, I spent time this summer peering at small samples of wood (and maybe pestering Todd and friends a few too many times), pondering and re-pondering various wood choices...

We (Well, let's be honest, "I") want a Scandi-modern look; Todd just wants something that functions well and looks good. So my first pick was wide-plank white oak; something like Carrie used in this modern townhouse "Blanc".


It turns out that white oak is very expensive because it's quartersawn (more labour/more technology), so I don't think it's a realistic option. 

Hmmm....how about hickory? We liked a sample we picked up from Green Works in Vancouver. When we investigated further, we discovered the small sample was misleading; there's a reason they call hickory the "calico wood". 


Beautiful floor, and not the look we want. 

Bamboo? Still a possibility. As you research bamboo, you find that you really get what you pay for. While it's entirely possible to buy bamboo flooring for less than $3.00/square foot, buyer beware. Bamboo is produced in China; less reputable manufacturers don't dry it properly so it buckles and warps after being laid. They also use urea formeldahyde...not exactly what we want to be breathing along with those fresh ocean breezes. There are some reliable manufacturers, and I'm still not convinced that I like the uniformity of it (hickory too much; bamboo not enough variety?).  Yes, I'm picky...but as the old song goes...it's my party... 

What about going darker? Walnut or acacia? I'm a fan of high contrast; Todd prefers something lighter. 

So, finally, what about Douglas Fir? It doesn't get much more "West Coast" than fir. 
And is there a way to use lye/wax to "Scandinavianize it" at a reasonable cost for product/labour? Look at these beautiful Dinesen floors - the company has been producing gorgeous Douglas fir floors in Denmark since 1898. 


I'm simply "floored" by the choices (groan here). And in the end, I know we'll pick something that we'll love at a price that doesn't blow the budget. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the research and learning a lot about flooring.  



No comments:

Post a Comment